…whetting your taste bud one meal at a time
Akidi is one of the major ingredients for Abacha, it contains a good amount of proteins and dietary fiber. It is also a rich source of folic acid.
Adding Akidi to your Abacha takes it to the next level and it makes events prepared Abacha very appetizing and mouthwatering.
Aside from adding cowpea beans to Abacha during events, most people still use during their individual prep.
Akidi is very delicious and nourishing. Most people call it black-eye pea. Most cowpeas are cultivated in Africa, Nigeria, and Niger in particular, which account for 66% of world production.
I know there are so many beans referred to as cowpea but this one is totally black.The seeds are usually small and kidney-shaped.
Akidi usually takes time to cook just like other beans. But for this recipe, I cooked the Akidi a day prior to the day I prepared the Abacha. All you need to do is to wash it properly to avoid stones, place it in a pot and cook. You can also add some potash (akawu) to cook faster.
Once the Akidi is done, preparing the Abacha usually does not take time.
You can check out on my previous Abacha recipe Abacha (African Salad).
I used fried fish to enjoy my Abacha and I also used dried oil bean during this preparation.
- Abacha ( 3 handfuls)
- 11/2 cups of Akidi (cowpea beans)
- 4 tablespoons of palm oil
- Ogiri ede
- Handful of oil bean
- Locust bean
- Ground pepper ( to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 stock cubes
1. Wash and cook the cowpea (Akidi) beans till it’s soft. You can add little potash to make it quicker.
2. Once the Akidi is done, soak the Abacha in lukewarm water, allow to get soft and put into a strainer to drain.
3. Pour hot water over the oil bean( if you are using dried one) and drain.
4. Pour the Abacha into a sizable bowl, add the oil bean, locust bean, salt, pepper, stock cubes, ogiri-ede and mix together. I normally use my hand to prepare my Abacha, to give it that traditional touch.
5. Now you can add the palm oil, then mix together.
6. Add the Akidi ( cowpea beans)
7. Adjust the taste if necessary
8. Now it’s done and ready to be served.
Don’t forget to try this recipe and send in your feedback.